February Recipe: Garlic Herb Oven Roasted Chicken (Heart Healthy Recipe)
Fresh rosemary and thyme, along with 40 cloves of garlic, go into making this oven roasted chicken one of the healthiest, juiciest, and most delicious chicken dinners you’ll ever eat!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
Servings: 4 servings
- 3 pounds whole chicken, cut into parts
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 Tablespoons avocado oil, or extra virgin olive oil
- 40 cloves fresh garlic, peeled
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 large lemon, cut into slices (about 1/8th inch thick)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Pat chicken pieces dry with paper toweling, then season the skin with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pot (such as a Dutch oven) over medium-high heat until it’s very hot, but not smoking.
- Place chicken pieces skin side down into oil and cook 3-4 minutes, or until chicken releases easily from the pan and is golden brown. You may need to do this in batches so as not to overcrowd the chicken.
- Transfer browned chicken pieces temporarily to a platter; Reduce burner heat to medium and add garlic cloves to the pan. Cook 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent garlic from burning.
- Turn off burner heat and place chicken pieces skin side up on top of the garlic. Place sprigs of rosemary and thyme and slices of lemon on and around the chicken, cover the pot with a lid and place onto the middle rack of the hot oven.
- Cook for 40 minutes, or until cooking thermometer inserted into the thickest part of a breast reads 163 degrees F. Remove pot from the oven and transfer the chicken pieces and garlic cloves to a serving platter. Tent platter with aluminum foil and allow the chicken to rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.